Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Steve, I love you but ...

... each episode of Blues Clues ends with a salutation to a lie —
     "You can do anything that you wanna do."
   Earnest in its appeal, buoyant in its confidence building, it is nevertheless a lie nailed into the soft heads which are mesmerized by Mr. Burns googley eyes.
   At heart, the liberal mantra is well-meaning: through hard work, help and a tad of luck, you may be able to conquer a discipline to the point that you can be crowned an expert or guru or president. But even the president does not get to do "anything" he wants to do. Because he (and before too long, she) is saddled with responsibility, just like the rest of us.
   I would contend most of the time we must do what we have to do, whether we like it or not. That is responsibility: to ourselves, to our family, to society as a whole.
   If we all felt we could "do anything that you wanna do," there would be a wreck at every intersection followed by a shoot-out and a chase. Laws would have no merit as they would impede on doing whatever it is I wanna do.
   Now I'm sure Libertarians have an answer to this one, but I'm more concerned about what my daughter hears and interprets as the truth and for this reason the popularity of Blues Clues makes me cringe, because you can't jump off a roof and fly just because you "wanna".

No comments:

Post a Comment