Sunday, January 20, 2013

La Dee Da, indeedy do do

Ingenuity trumps tramps.

   Our neighbor is a wonderful guy who has a great rapport with my daughter. He brought her a doll for Christmas, and maybe because the doll's 'story' claims she's "from New York City" (as is he) is what made him purchase the thing, but it's obvious he's never had a daughter or he'd never have given it as a present (I hope).
   Dee, the ringleader of the La Dee Da dolls, is manufactured by a group of grotesque profiteers called Spin Master.
   While 5-to-12-year-old girls are the stated target market, Dee (the persona) is said to be 16 years old. Charming.
   So, of course, a 16-year-old streetwise New Yorker is exactly the model teen-ager that 5-year-old girls need to emulate.
   Fortunately for my daughter (or maybe more so for me), Dee wasn't all that impressive in her "fashion-forward" outfit. So my munchkin fashioned her own togs with which to drape the toy trampette (note pic).
   I must say I was rather pleased. Though her mother and I rolled our eyes and cringed when the present was initially opened, our daughteron her owndecided to 're-fashion' the toy.
   As for Dee and her La Dee Da friends, I found an online review of the toy line written with far too much detail. It would be humorous if it wasn't so pervy.
  Here's a bit:
   "Well, I got my hands on a few of the newest dolls from Spin Master. These girls have been causing a stir since they were displayed at the Toy Fair in New York last February. They are called "La Dee Da" dolls, named after Dee, who is the fashion-forward leader of the pack. The name of the line confuses me, though, because although it's catchy, don't people usually say, "well, la dee da" when they're being mocking and dismissive? Sometimes even "la dee frickin' da?" Are these dolls dissing me from inside the box?"
   Somehow, it doesn't sound like it was written by a female.
   Ick.

No comments:

Post a Comment